About diving in Safaga
Diving in Safaga is very interesting and varied. The diving centers are not that many as in other neighboring populations. Thus, diving has not been intense, thanks to which the coral is more than healthy. In Safaga there are different diving options, from the diving in the coast reefs to diving at a brave sea waters for more experienced divers. The slopes, pinnacles, caves and outgoing have beautiful coral reefs, surrounded by an abundance of marine life.
The Shipwrecks of Safaga
In regard to shipwrecks it is possible to dive at the famous Salem Express wreck which sank in 1991. There were 470 passengers going to La Meca, all of them are dead now. The marine life in this famous wreck is not very abundant, seems like this part of the sea would be aware of the tragedy in the past. To be short, this boat sank after hitting the reef during the dark of night. The propellers are in a truly impressive sight.
The great power of the ocean is to create new life, you can see a deck colonized by several species of hard corals. Gradually, different fish species characteristic of the Red Sea invades this unfortunate wreck. It seems paradoxical but as someone would say someday, “death gave way to life.” This wreck is free of strong streams, for this reason is possible professional and beginner divers diving from 12 meters to 30 meters.
Let us see then the most important diving sites of Safaga
- Sha’ab Saiman. This is an ideal site to see a dazzling marine life with “thousands of colors”. It is separated from Ras Abu Soma by a sandy canyon. It is a famous place because the great quantity of hard corals in its waters.
- Ras Abu Soma. Here the reef is a kind of tongue of coral located in the northern end of the Soma Bay. This reef has two dive sites: Ras Abu Soma and Gardens.
It is possible to arrive on these just by a boat for 45 minutes from the Safaga coast. In Ras you can find a steep vertical wall, the waters of this wall are viable to see (hopefully) barracuda, leopard sharks, Grunts, large groups of fish and sweet lips.
- Panorama Reef. It is an hour and a half outside of Safaga. Its name is because it is the largest coral of this site, also you can be able to appreciate a spectacular underwater landscape.
To the north you can find a plateau where you can see a lot of purple corals, frequently visited by dolphins and gray reef sharks.
Although the principal attraction of this place are the steep walls that descend steeply to 25 meters deep. To mention only some species can be found such as the lionfish, scorpion fish and parrot fish.
- Abu Kafan. It means “Fans’ Father” It is characterized by large corals and precious and huge gorgonians. This is an extensive reef of 300 meters long. It has a steep wall that drops 200 meters into the depths.
You can find here two diving areas: one to the north and one to the south. In the first one exist spectacular black coral formations, which are living in huge schools of barracudas.
In the second one it is possible to see a variety of shark species, especially the hammerheads in late spring. In winter the manta rays are present there.
- Sha’ab Pura. It is well-known as “The coral paradise of Egypt,” has numerous coral rocks that form a magnificent coral garden. Divers will find flatfish, spotted and blue striped rays, and some tiger fish in good size.
Also is possible to go around a small dive boat lying on the seabed.
- The wreck El Arish El Tor. It is a vessel of Norwegian flag, who succumbed in 2002 and sits on its port side.
The wreck starts at 15 meters deep and continues to 38 meters. Especially in the propellers and the deck area you can find spectacular colonies of soft corals and fish Rich. The underwater photographers can take pictures as their wish the huge school of barracudas and yellow tail with swarms of the curious sea. Besides, it is possible photographing the life jackets, fire hoses and a number of elements of these vessels. When it sunk there was no body in it, as it was anchored.